Sunday, November 09, 2008

Constructive Thoughts: Signs of hate

I came across this piece on the online Los Angeles Times today. When I first opened the link I was greeted by this photo.

I always find it so interesting, so telling, that those who scream the loudest about bigotry, oppression, and hate are usually the ones so filled with prejudice, hatred for freedom of all kinds (except theirs), and who froth so freely at the mouth.

I also found it deliciously ironic that this particular sign appears right behind the spittle-spraying protestor. At least, it would be deliciously ironic if it was not so... so....

Well, let us just say that I doubt this man has love and fellowship on his mind. Not at this moment.

For those who have not yet seen the statement issued Friday from the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
It is disturbing that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is being singled out for speaking up as part of its democratic right in a free election.

Members of the Church in California and millions of others from every faith, ethnicity and political affiliation who voted for Proposition 8 exercised the most sacrosanct and individual rights in the United States — that of free expression and voting.

While those who disagree with our position on Proposition 8 have the right to make their feelings known, it is wrong to target the Church and its sacred places of worship for being part of the democratic process.

Once again, we call on those involved in the debate over same-sex marriage to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility towards each other. No one on either side of the question should be vilified, harassed or subject to erroneous information.

"A spirit of mutual respect and civility."

Wow. What a concept.

An ever-increasingly novel concept in today's political and social discussions.

And maybe I'm guilty in this post of villifying. If anyone finds my post thus, I apologize. Perhaps I am.

But I join my voice to those of the LDS Church, as well as the Catholic Church, in urging mutual respect and civility.

2 comments:

Steve said...

While I respect the right of the church to get involved in causes that it deems important, I also support the right of the protesters to voice their opinions as well. It's a free country, and if the church wants to get involved in emotional issues in the future, we'll need to develop a thicker skin.

Iguana Montana said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the protesters have the right to voice their opinions. I was simply pointing out the irony that those who scream loudest about hate are usually pretty hateful about how they do it. That's all.

And I believe we will need a thicker skin, especially as the Last Days come upon us; right now we are those being pointed at and mocked by those in the great and spacious building. Will we hold tight to the Iron Rod? or will we become ashamed and embarrassed by the scrutiny and find ourselves wandering in the mists? (See 1 Nephi 8:19-28)

"We live in those 'perilous times' which the Apostle Paul prophesied would come in the last days.1 If we are to be safe individually, as families, and secure as a church, it will be through 'obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.'" (Boyd K. Packer, The Test, Ensign, Nov. 2008 at 88 (citations omitted).)