Friday, December 14, 2007

Mitt & Huck

OK.
I had wanted to steer clear of this topic, but I feel I have to jump in here. One quick comment to lance the boil and I'll be done with it.

What is all this furor over members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (a.k.a. "Mormons") not being Christians?

The name pretty much says it all: "Church of Jesus Christ." This is not "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster." It is the Church of JESUS CHRIST.

But then you have the inevitable retort: "But they don't believe in the Christ of the Bible, or the same Christ I believe in."

Well...let's look at that, shall we: (Of course, this post may qualify me as a theo-nerd* or at least a junior theo-nerd. But there you have it. I'll just have to take that risk!)

  1. Christ was born in Bethlehem. The whole story about the star, the manger & the inn, the wise men. Herod's extermination order. Fleeing into Egypt. We all together so far?
  2. Mother was Mary? Step-father was Joseph, a carpenter?
  3. Son of God?
  4. John 3:16?
  5. Performed miracles--water into wine? raised Lazarus from the dead?
  6. Taught in parables--the two debtors? good Samaritan? prodigal son? unjust steward? the ten virgins? Still with me?
  7. Sermon on the Mount? the whole fish and loaves thing?
  8. Walked on water and calmed the tempest?
  9. Taught that He had other sheep, "which are not of this fold" that must also hear his voice?
  10. Betrayed by a disciple and rejected by His people?
  11. Crucified?
  12. Rose again on the third day?
  13. Took upon Himself the sins of the world?

So... we're all agreed on these points. But somehow it's not the same Jesus Christ? My Savior is different than your Savior? I see. So, there were TWO individuals in history that, just coincidentally, all did these same things. Now I understand.

Yeah...it's simplistic.

But exactly where do I go wrong? He's either the same or there were more than one.

Period.

Now: can we please get back to figuring out how to turn the runaway train that is this country away from the cliff?

*P.S. Thanks to the guys at Article VI for such a wonderful word as "theo-nerd." It may have originated elsewhere, but that's where I first heard it. I'd recommend going there and reading their stuff when you can; they're much more eloquent than I (like HERE. Just come back when you're done, O.K.?

No comments: